These are actual quotes from moms of twins who responded to the question, “What did you most wish people would do for you without being asked?” Bonus points if they don’t have to ask you first!
- Bring them food/fill their water bottle without being asked
- Clean the house, change the sheets, do the dishes (things that obviously need to be done)
- Mow lawn
- Taking photos of them cuddling their babies (no selfies!)
- Wash or fold laundry
- Be prepared with resources for postpartum counsellors
- Take the dog for a walk
- Encourage moms to get to moms group; provide resources
- Grocery shop
- Offer to stay with babies so mom can get a short break (coffee shop, errand, anything!)
- Clean bathrooms
- Take the mom’s side against her mother in law!
(The mother in law comment wasn’t the only one mentioned in that category, I just left it all under that heading!)
I will add one they probably don’t even know to ask for: Just tell them they are doing it well. Celebrate all the things they are already great at. Remind them that they are the perfect mom/dad for these babies. They might not believe themselves, but they will believe YOU.